Wednesday 22 April 2020

Random Mumblings - Dance

Do you know what dance is? Her father asked her. The little girl shook her head. He gently took her in his arms and told her, it's a calling. You don't chose dance, dance choses you and that's the thing about dance - it's takes you to a world unknown.. But why papa, replied the little girl. Why dance? Because, said her father, its the only thing I know. But still papa, it takes you away from the people you love, like it keeps you away from me for so many hours....Her father laughed. It was hard to answer his 5 year questions. One day, she will away from him for long hours...practicing. He thought for a while and said Hmn. You are right. But if dance takes me away from you. It also brings me back to you. You know how? The girl shook her head. Her father smiled and said because it's one of the few things that is common between us. You dance. I dance. See, dance is common between us. But you do a different style and I have just started to learn Kathak. Wow, said the father. Kathak is pretty cool. Your mom always says - dance is a way to bring people together as one. In a world, where there are so many wars, culture plays a role in bringing about peace. You are young, my girl, to understand these things. No, replied the girl. I am big. I am 5.  Her father laughed and said yes you are. He knew that may be, right now it was too much to ask for from a girl of 5. He secretly hoped that she would grow to be a fine dancer, a dream that both he and his wife shared....one who would bring dance back to life....one who through her dance, would bring cultures together and bring about some kind of stability and harmony in an otherwise turbulent society.

#writing #ondance #perspective #culture #medium

No comments:

Post a Comment